Two-Meat Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 10 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and pepperoni over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, parsley, oregano, chili powder, sugar and garlic powder.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti.
Freeze option: Do not cook spaghetti. Freeze meat sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Place meat sauce in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 5 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 358 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 358mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Two-Meat Spaghetti Sauce
"Very tasty and simple. I used just one pkg of turkey pepperoni and ground chicken, omitting the mushrooms since my husband doesn't like them,"
"My mother was the first to serve this to our family and I am so glad she did! It's been a favorite for years. Very surprised more have not tried this, since its easy to fix, relatively healthy and has a great flavor. I usually use a combo of 8 oz lean ground beef and turkey pepperoni."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.