Two-Layered Apple Crisp Recipe
I feel blessed to have the opportunity to bake this for the special ladies at the local homeless shelter. Try it with Honeycrisp apples, Golden Delicious or a blend of the two apple types. —Char Morse, Whitehall, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large Honeycrisp or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, caramel sundae syrup and salted pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until crumbly. Add flour and oats; mix well. Press 3 cups oat mixture into the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In another bowl, mix the first five filling ingredients. Add apples and vanilla; toss to combine. Spoon over oat layer. Dot with butter; sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. If desired, serve with toppings. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC