- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and butter to a boil;
- stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate; stir
- until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle 1/2 cup over ice
- cream. Freeze until firm.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of
- tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue
- beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 4
- Transfer to a bowl; beat 5-7 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form
- and sugar is dissolved. Immediately spread over frozen pie. Heat
- with a creme brulee torch for 3-4 minutes or until meringue is
- lightly browned. Serve immediately with remaining chocolate sauce.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 586 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.