Two Layer Baked Alaska Recipe
The very first desert I made for company was a Baked Alaska. It was a complete disaster. When I finally got it right I branched out and made two-layered treat, which was a total success and continues to be a favorite. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in the cracker crumbs, pecans and brown sugar. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate ice cream into crust. Layer with strawberry ice cream. Cover and freeze 1-2 hours or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and butter to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle 1/2 cup over ice cream. Freeze until firm.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl; beat 5-7 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Immediately spread over frozen pie. Heat with a creme brulee torch for 3-4 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with remaining chocolate sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Two Layer Baked Alaska in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p62
Reviews for Two Layer Baked Alaska(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >