Two-Bean Tomato Bake Recipe
Parmesan cheese, basil and garlic spice up this mouthwatering medley of beans, mushrooms, onion and tomato. A crumb topping adds crunch to this veggie bake that's even more flavorful when you use your garden harvest.—Dorothy Rieke, Julian, Nebraska
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh wax beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; add tomatoes and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 4 tablespoons butter until crisp-tender. Add 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Add to the bean mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs, cheese and remaining garlic, basil and oregano. Sprinkle over bean mixture.
- 4. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 124 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC