Two-Bean Soup Recipe
"My husband, David, and I volunteer at our American Legion post, cooking dinner on Friday nights," says Lee Hawk of San Diego, California. "David, who loves beams, concocted this hearty soup that combines limas and great northerns with cubes of ham and chopped vegetables. I like to serve it with corn bread."
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Two-Bean Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p59
Reviews for Two-Bean Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham and Bean Soup >
- Ham Recipes >
- Ham Soup >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >