- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Two-Bean Soup
"This recipe has been in my favorite recipe rotation for several years. To keep it low fat use a lean packaged ham or leftover meat from ham dinner. Everyone who has eaten this; young, old, and in between find it filling, warm, and yummy. Recipe makes a large quantity!!"
"one serving is 4 weight watcher points"