"I was sure to learn the secrets behind my mom's zesty chili before I got married," explains Deborah Heatwole. "Steaming bowls of it are great in the winter with coleslaw and corn bread or muffins," she says from her home in Waynesboro, Georgia. Surprise your gang with the snappy supper tonight.
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups refried beans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients; cook until heated through. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 156 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 686 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.