Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Meet the Cook: When I prepare these sweet potatoes, I like to serve them with ham. Those two different tastes always team really well. In 35 years together, my husband's eaten lots of my "accidents"! We have three children and four grandchildren. -Miriam Christophel, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 6 large sweet potatoes (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.Cut them in half lengthwise; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- Place pulp in a large bowl. Add orange juice. Melt 3 tablespoons butter; add to pulp and beat until smooth. Stuff the potato shells; place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and mace. Cut in remaining butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes in Country Woman September/October 1996, p33
Reviews for Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2011
I decided that the brown sugar topping might be a bit of overkill, as I was serving a ham with a brown sugar glaze as well. So I left the topping off and just baked the stuffed sweet potato skins "naked." Very good!
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Sweet Potato Recipes >
- Sweet Potatoes >