Twice-Baked Cheese Souffles Recipe
You'll easily impress guests with these individual cheese souffles from our home economists. Partially bake and refrigerate them early in the morning. Then simply sprinkle with cheese and finish baking when ready to eat.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, onion powder, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot cheese sauce. Return all to the pan; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into cooled cheese mixture. Pour into ungreased 1-cup souffle dishes or custard cups. Place in a shallow baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20 minutes. Remove custard cups to wire racks to cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Cheese Souffles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p153
Reviews for Twice-Baked Cheese Souffles(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >