- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, onion powder, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add 1 cup cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup hot cheese sauce. Return all to the pan; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into cooled cheese mixture. Pour into ungreased 1-cup souffle dishes or custard cups. Place in a shallow baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20 minutes. Remove custard cups to wire racks to cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Cheese Souffles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p153
Reviews for Twice-Baked Cheese Souffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >