Twice-Baked Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 medium acorn squash (1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 10 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash upside down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Scoop out squash, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the squash pulp, spinach, bacon, 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, green onion, butter, salt and cayenne.
- 4. Spoon into shells. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 filled squash half) equals 248 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 579 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.