Tutti-Frutti Angel Food Cake Recipe
Each heavenly slice of this made-from-scratch cake is feathery-light, confides Jill Kinder of Richlands, Virginia. Its pretty pink color makes it perfect for Valentine"s Day.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; set aside.
- 2. Add cream of tartar, extracts, salt and food coloring if desired to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in candied fruit.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
One piece equals 226 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC