- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, extracts, salt and food coloring if desired to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in candied fruit.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forTutti-Frutti Angel Food Cake
"my cake didn't rise much at all. i reduced the sugar by half a cup and it was still on the sweet side. taste was ok but not as good as i had hoped"
"This is a different, fun way to make angel food cake. It always gets oohs and aahs!"