Tuscan Tossed Salad Recipe
I like to let this salad sit awhile to allow the flavors to blend. Serve it in a pretty, clear trifle dish and you'll have a stunning side dish on the table.—Elaine Sweet, Dallas, Texas
- 1 loaf (1 pound) focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 3 large yellow or red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1. Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, anchovies, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, celery, onion and red peppers.
- 3. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer with a third of the bread cubes and a third of the greens mixture; drizzle with a third of the dressing. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 366 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Tuscan Tossed Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC