- 1 loaf (1 pound) focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 3 large yellow or red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on a wire rack.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, anchovies, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, celery, onion and red peppers.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer with a third of the bread cubes and a third of the greens mixture; drizzle with a third of the dressing. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Tuscan Tossed Salad
"This was not my favorite recipe. The dressing just didn't taste good."
"This salad is very similar to "Dimitri's salad" which was very popular in Erie, Pa at Dimitri's Restaurant. Dimitri retired to Greece and took his recipe with him. I am glad to see it where so many can enjoy it, and yes, the flavors blend better if it sits for a while. I hope you all love it as much as Erie did."
" I made this recipe and it is quite good. Next time, I will cut down on the anchovies."
"Actually, I am making this salad tomorrow! Can't wait. We love all the ingredients, and this will look so colorful on the table. I know this will be a hit with everyone. Thanks for sharing this recipe.Loretta"
"This salad is so colorful it just invites sharing!"