I like to let this salad sit awhile to allow the flavors to blend. Serve it in a pretty, clear trifle dish and you'll have a stunning side dish on the table.—Elaine Sweet, Dallas, Texas
- 1 loaf (1 pound) focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 3 large yellow or red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on a wire rack.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, anchovies, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, celery, onion and red peppers.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer with a third of the bread cubes and a third of the greens mixture; drizzle with a third of the dressing. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Tuscan Tossed Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p155
Reviews for Tuscan Tossed Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review