I found this Italian-style chicken recipe in a magazine and tweaked it to my family's tastes. I have taken it to potlucks and served it at dinner parties and no one ever guesses that it's made in the slow cooker. I serve this chicken entree with crusty bread and spinach salad with lemon vinaigrette.—Mary Watkins, Little Elm, Texas
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 10 small red potatoes (about 1 pound), quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (5-3/4 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Place chicken on top. Sprinkle with
- salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning. Top with olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Discard rosemary sprigs before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 498 calories, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 1,797 mg sodium,