- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole; cook until just wilted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Tuscan Soup
"We have made this twice and absolutely love it! Its fast and very good."
"soup was very good with a delicate flavor. I made some changes, as follows: used 1 medium onion,chopped, 2 cups of diced carrots, 2 cups of celery,diced with some inner celery leaves,chopped, 4-14.5 oz. cans chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1-15oz. can great northern beans; 3/4 cups uncooked small sea shell pasta, 4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach (not quite a 6 oz. bag), 1 lb. fat free, skinless smoked sausage, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & cut again across. We all loved it & I have made it many times now, as above. Thanks for the recipe."
"I added 2 Italian turkey sausage links, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp oregano. DELISH!! Family loved it..."
"easy and yummy!"
"Loved it, used northern beans...next time would add more broth..but was delicious..Husband loved it."