- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole; cook until just wilted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Tuscan Soup
"quick and easy."
"We have made this twice and absolutely love it! Its fast and very good."
"soup was very good with a delicate flavor. I made some changes, as follows: used 1 medium onion,chopped, 2 cups of diced carrots, 2 cups of celery,diced with some inner celery leaves,chopped, 4-14.5 oz. cans chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1-15oz. can great northern beans; 3/4 cups uncooked small sea shell pasta, 4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach (not quite a 6 oz. bag), 1 lb. fat free, skinless smoked sausage, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & cut again across. We all loved it & I have made it many times now, as above. Thanks for the recipe."
"I was amazed that this simple soup could be so delicious and yet so easy to prepare. Terrific!"
"I added 2 Italian turkey sausage links, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp oregano. DELISH!! Family loved it..."
"Easy and yummy!"
"Loved it, used northern beans...next time would add more broth..but was delicious..Husband loved it."