- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole; cook until just wilted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Tuscan Soup(12)
Sort By :
Quick and easy.
We have made this twice and absolutely love it! Its fast and very good.
Soup was very good with a delicate flavor. I made some changes, as follows: used 1 medium onion,chopped, 2 cups of diced carrots, 2 cups of celery,diced with some inner celery leaves,chopped, 4-14.5 oz. cans chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1-15oz. can great northern beans; 3/4 cups uncooked small sea shell pasta, 4 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach (not quite a 6 oz. bag), 1 lb. fat free, skinless smoked sausage, cut in 1/2 lengthwise & cut again across. We all loved it & I have made it many times now, as above. Thanks for the recipe.
This soup was easy to put together and was a great starter to a New Year's Eve dinner!
I was amazed that this simple soup could be so delicious and yet so easy to prepare. Terrific!