Tuscan Portobello Stew Recipe
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the tomatoes, kale and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Add beans; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 309 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.