- 2 large portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the tomatoes, kale and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add beans; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tuscan Portobello Stew
"Added 1/4 c chia seeds for more protein. Hubby didn't complain& liked the stew. Next time I would add some spicy v8 juice for more sauce because the chia seeds absorbed the liquid."
"Loved it! And so easy, ...I did add a few things, chopped chicken thighs, 1/2 cup of navy beans, fresh yellow beans, small potatoes , med shallot and 1 cup of wine, (my opinion you can never use too much wine for that savory flavor) Then I just let everything cook together, it was delish! (My significant other does not like a lot of beans that's why I used the navy beans because they are smaller, and he is not crazy about kale so I just substituted a little and made it my own, ) served with some crusty bread, perfect for a chilly evening. Thanks for the recipe!!!!"
"What can I use instead of a can of diced tomatoes? My husband can't have the seeds that are in the tomatoes, but this stew sounds good!"
"I made something like this took loose italian turkey sausage cooked it and added it to soup with grated cheese on top we all loved it. can add some hot pepper flakes as I did really good. Oh if you want it creamier and save calories add some fat free evaporated milk as well"
"White kidney beans are often called cannellini beans and can be found in the canned food section of any large supermarket chain store."