Tuscan Pork Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked fettuccine, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown pork in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, vegetable blend, wine, marmalade, garlic, oregano, fennel seed, pepper and pepper flakes if desired. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with fettuccine if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without fettuccine) equals 232 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.