Tuscan Pork Medallions Recipe
- 3/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pork in butter until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°). Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute prosciutto in the drippings until browned. Add garlic and sage; cook 1 minute longer. Add vinegar, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 3. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add tomatoes and pork; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with basil and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
5 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup sauce equals 514 calories, 36 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 205 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.