Tuscan Chicken Soup
Change up your traditional chicken soup by adding delicious white kidney beans. It is also a great way to use up cooked chicken. —Rosemary Goetz, Hudson, New York
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is
- tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir
- in beans and pasta; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and
- vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole and
- chicken; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 329 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,542 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 28 g protein.