Tuscan Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup uncooked small spiral pasta
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh escarole or spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until onion is tender. Add the broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in beans and pasta; return to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add escarole and chicken; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 329 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,542 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Tuscan Chicken Soup
"Loved the recipe, it has good flavor. The next time I make it I would add more liquid to it because the beans and pasta absorb a lot of it leaving it with hardly and liquid."
"This is a good-for-you, feel-good soup. It's not difficult to make, but tastes like you worked hard. I double the recipe so we can have some for lunch the next day:)"
"This soup is the best! I used a whole bag of spinach & it turned out great. I will definitely make this many times more."
"So easy and quick, but oh the flavor. Added garlic."
"We used smoked chicken in the soup. Very tasty. Loved all the veggies."
"This is a good basic soup, but I did pretty much what cramirez did, but went one step further and added about a half tbsp of a garlic-herb mix that I have from Costco. It gave it the punch it needed. I served it with a garlic studded artisan Italian Bread to soak up the broth. With my additions it was voted a keeper. Thanks for the great basic recipe."
"Great soup. Made this tonight with some changes. Saute a couple of cloves of garlic along with the onions and carrots, added more carrots, used about 1 cup of Ditalini pasta and 3+ cups of shredded chicken. Didn't have fresh escarole or spinach so I threw in a 12 oz. package of frozen spinach. Also added a little more water to compensate for the extra veggies & chicken. Grated some fresh parmesan cheese when serving. Definitely a keeper and will be even better when the cold weather gets here."
"i like a more dense soup, so used orzo instead of spiral pasta, and smashed a few beans first..... NICE flavor!!"
"Very quick, easy and good but certainly, add GARLIC!"
"i love soup..can eat soup all year round. I'm gonna try and use dry beans and make it healthier."
"good flavor,a good comfort soup,i love tuscan soup, rich tasting, glad i tried,i was looking for a good soup i found it.:-)"