Tuscan Bread Salad
I have made this salad many times over the years and it always receives many compliments. The addition of capers and Greek olives gives it a unique flavor and the bread cubes, a nice crunchy texture. This salad is very easy to prepare and is one of our family’s favorites.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 cups cubed Italian bread
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced Greek olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 5 cups torn romaine
- Place bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for
- 15-20 minutes or until dried and toasted, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, onion, olives, capers and
- toasted bread. Drizzle with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; toss to coat. Let
- stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add romaine and remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 185 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.