Tuscan Artichoke & Spinach Strudel Recipe
Strudel through history and you’ll find origins for this sweet layered pastry in Austria. Bring it over to the savory side with Tuscan influences of tomatoes, mushrooms and pesto. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 1-1/4 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup coarsely chopped thawed frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and tomatoes in 2 teaspoons oil from sun-dried tomatoes until mushrooms are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine spinach, pesto, pepper and, if desired, pepper flakes. Add artichokes, mozzarella cheese, 5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and mushroom mixture; mix well.
- Unroll crescent dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations. Roll out into a 14x9-in. rectangle.
- Spread filling in a 3-in.-wide strip down center of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1/2 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Whisk egg and remaining oil; brush over dough. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before cutting into 12 slices. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Tuscan Artichoke & Spinach Strudel in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p59
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Tuscan Artichoke & Spinach Strudel(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Artichoke Hearts >
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Irish Dinners >
- Irish Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Spinach Recipes >
- St. Patrick's Day Dinner Recipes >
- St. Patrick's Day Recipes >
- Sun Dried Tomato Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >