Turtle Wiches Recipe
Little children are usually fascinated with outdoor creatures and insects. So I served sandwiches shaped and decorated to resemble turtles for a party I gave to welcome my new baby nephew. A delicious ham filling bakes right inside the biscuit dough. -Kendra Barclay, De Kalb, Illinois
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 5 slices process American cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- Additional poppy seeds
- 5 whole canned mushrooms
- 1. Pat five biscuits into 3-1/2-in. circles on a greased baking sheet. Combine the ham, onion, butter, mustard and poppy seeds; spoon 2 tablespoonfuls onto each circle.
- 2. Fold cheese slices into quarters and place over ham mixture. Pat remaining biscuits into 4-in. circles; place over filling (do not seal edges). Arrange olives on top. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Insert one mushroom into the filling of each sandwich for the turtle's head.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 5 sandwiches.
1 serving (1 each) equals 324 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,311 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC