- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream and pecan halves, optional
- Mix cake according to package directions. Set aside half of the batter; pour remaining batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels, milk and butter. Remove from the heat and add nuts. Pour over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Pour reserved batter over top. Bake 20-25 minutes more or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool. Cut into squares. If desired, top each with a scoop of ice cream and a pecan half. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Turtle Sundae Dessert in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p67
Reviews for Turtle Sundae Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2010
"This recipe is amazing! The cake is so moist and caramel adds great flavor. I made this for a party and I almost didn't even get a piece! I would most defiantly make this again."