Turtle Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 caramels
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 72 pecan halves (about 2 cups)
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into 12 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle; cut into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt caramels with milk; stir until smooth. Dip two edges of each cookie into caramel; allow excess to drip off. Dip edges in chopped pecans. Place on waxed paper.
- 4. Melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon onto each cookie; immediately top with a pecan half. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 cookie equals 123 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Turtle Shortbread Cookies
"These cookies are so delicious. My daughter, who is blind, make these cookies but had to make some adjustments to recipe. She added the chocolate chips to the batter of the cookie, she used the mini chocolate chips. She then made drop cookies and flattened them some on the top. She cooked them for about 10-12 min until they were starting to turn a light brown. I checked this. The were about an inch thick in the middle. She then melted the caramels and put a little over a teaspoon per cookie, and added finely chopped nuts to the top. They are lovely, but not as beautiful as the the original picture, but they are a lot faster to make."
"Excellent cookies, sticky but good!!"
"I am looking forward to trying these. I LOVE turtle candy. Please clear up a little confusion on my part. It says to dip 2 edges of the wedge in the caramel sauce. Does this mean the widest side and the pointy side. In the picture I can see the wide side but not the second side. Thanks for you clarification."
"Merry Christmas Hope your family is safe"
"These look really good Patricia. Anyway, I'm from Illinois too and wanted to say bless you. I lived in Pekin for awhile and still have friends up there (located down by Mattoon now). That was a very scary day on November 17th, wasn't it? Anyway, I hope you and your family stayed safe from the tornado and Merry Christmas!"