- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 caramels
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 72 pecan halves (about 2 cups)
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and extract until light and fluffy. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle; cut into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt caramels with milk; stir until smooth. Dip two edges of each cookie into caramel; allow excess to drip off. Dip edges in chopped pecans. Place on waxed paper.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon onto each cookie; immediately top with a pecan half. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Turtle Shortbread Cookies
Sort By :
Excellent cookies, sticky but good!!
I am looking forward to trying these. I LOVE turtle candy. Please clear up a little confusion on my part. It says to dip 2 edges of the wedge in the caramel sauce. Does this mean the widest side and the pointy side. In the picture I can see the wide side but not the second side. Thanks for you clarification.
Merry Christmas Hope your family is safe
These look really good Patricia. Anyway, I'm from Illinois too and wanted to say bless you. I lived in Pekin for awhile and still have friends up there (located down by Mattoon now). That was a very scary day on November 17th, wasn't it? Anyway, I hope you and your family stayed safe from the tornado and Merry Christmas!