“My mom and I make up to six batches of these cute cookies each Christmas,” says Holly Snyder of Milton, Pennsylvania. “My brother and sister always seem to know when they’re around...they show up at Mom’s house saying, ‘The turtles are calling.’”
Recommended: Top 10 Caramel Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, cut in half lengthwise
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Push four pecan pieces into each ball for legs; add two small pecan pieces to each for head and tail.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are set. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter with milk. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar. Dip top of each cookie into glaze. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Turtle-Shaped Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p7
Reviews for Turtle-Shaped Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2009
"These are fantastic cookies"