Turtle Nut Cake
One of my cousins served this at our annual family reunion many years ago, and she was swamped with recipe requests. One taste will tell you why!
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Pecan halves for garnish, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Set aside half of
- batter; pour remaining batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt
- the caramels, milk and butter. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Pour
- over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then pour reserved batter
- over top.
- Bake 20 minutes longer or until cake springs back when touched
- lightly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and top each with a
- pecan half if desired. Yield: 20 servings.