One of my cousins served this at our annual family reunion many years ago, and she was swamped with recipe requests. One taste will tell you why!
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Pecan halves for garnish, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Set aside half of batter; pour remaining batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the caramels, milk and butter. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Pour over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then pour reserved batter over top.
- Bake 20 minutes longer or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and top each with a pecan half if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Turtle Nut Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p87
Reviews for Turtle Nut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review