Making this rich caramel-fudge sauce is a family affair at our house—the kids love to unwrap the caramels! The sauce can be made ahead and frozen.
Recommended: 45 Valentine's Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the caramels are melted and mixture is smooth (do not boil). Reduce heat to low.
- With an electric hand mixer on medium speed, beat in vanilla; continue beating for 5 minutes. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 30 minutes (sauce will thicken as it cools). Pour into glass or plastic food storage containers; refrigerate. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 9 cups.
Originally published as Turtle Ice Cream Sauce in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p39
Reviews for Turtle Ice Cream Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review