Turtle Candies Recipe
I am a self-taught candy maker through trial and error. These turtles are a favorite of friends and family.—Carole Wiese, New Berlin, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing YIELD:50 servings
- 1 pound pecan halves, toasted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1. On waxed paper-lined baking sheets, arrange pecans in small clusters of four to five pecans each.
- 2. For caramel, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, corn syrup and sugars. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Working quickly, spoon caramel onto pecan clusters. Let stand until set.
- 3. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spoon over caramel. Chill for 10 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 piece equals 171 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC