- 1 pound pecan halves, toasted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, chopped
- On waxed paper-lined baking sheets, arrange pecans in small clusters of four to five pecans each.
- For caramel, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, corn syrup and sugars. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Working quickly, spoon caramel onto pecan clusters. Let stand until set.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spoon over caramel. Chill for 10 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Turtle Candies
"Absolutely the best turtles I have ever tasted. The caramel in these is decadent, incredibly rich & smooth, & so easy to make. I have paid $20 a lb. for turtles that were not this good.I used aluminum foil lined cookie sheets & spray oil & the turtles came off perfectly. This honestly couldn't be easier."
"This is a great recipe. The candy is amazing. Thank you for sharing"
"The caramel was perfect. I can't wait to make them again."
"Shoul read 3 or 4 years worth of Christmas boxes"
"I have made this candy for three or four Christmas gift boxes. It is the most requested of all the candies that I make"
"So much better than store-bought turtles!"
"This was a very easy recipe to follow. The taste was incredibly good. I just would like to know how to make a bottom for the turtles so that the caramel and nuts are enclosed. Even after chilling them, mine sorta fell apart when eating them because there was no bottom. I will definitely be making this again."