When my son Nicholas' friends visit, they always want to make this yummy, turtle-shaped bread. Nick's brother and sister join in to mix and knead, too-then the flour really starts flying!
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 raisins
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a
- small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to
- 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until
- moistened. Add 1 egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining
- flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape dough into one
- 2-in. ball, four 1-1/2-in. balls, one 1-in. ball and one large round
- For turtle shell, place the large dough ball in the center of a
- greased baking sheet. Place the 2-in. ball at the top for head;
- position 1-1/2-in. balls on either side for feet. Shape the 1-in.
- ball into a triangle for tail; place on opposite side of large ball