- 7 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-inch cubes)
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 8 caramels
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Place bread cubes in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with semisweet chips and 2 tablespoons pecans. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk, brown sugar, cocoa, caramels, butter and chili powder. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until caramels are melted. Add remaining milk; heat through.
- Stir a small amount of mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until caramel topping is heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Turtle Bread Pudding in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p29
Reviews for Turtle Bread Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2014
"Excellent! Always a big hit!"
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2011
"Chili powder helps intensify the chocolate flavor."
Reviewed Jul. 7, 2010
"leave the chili powder out if it's an issue for you!"
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2010
"Chili Powder? Seriously? Why?????????"