Turnips, Taters and Ham Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 small turnips, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt if desired, basil and pepper. Gradually stir in water and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer potatoes, turnips and ham; pour sauce over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with margarine, skim milk and low-fat ham and without salt) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 lean meat; also, 176 calories, 420 mg sodium, 11 mg cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 5 gm fat.