Turnips, Taters and Ham Recipe
Every year, my husband clears space in the garden to plant turnips. He likes to eat them right out of the garden or in a variety of dishes, including this one I created just for him.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 small turnips, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt if desired, basil and pepper. Gradually stir in water and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer potatoes, turnips and ham; pour sauce over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turnips, Taters and Ham in Country Pork 1996, p13
Reviews for Turnips, Taters and Ham(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review