I found this recipe in a local newspaper when we moved to Arkansas almost 20 years ago. The recipe was said to be so good that even people "burned out" on turnips would like it. I'd never heard of slaw made from turnips, but I tried it and now my husband likes it better than cabbage slaw.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded peeled turnips
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients except turnips. Pour over turnips
- and toss well to coat. Refrigerate several hours for flavors to
- blend. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with light mayonnaise) equals 2 vegetables, 1 fat; also, 113 calories, 305 mg sodium, 6 mg cholesterol, 18 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 4 gm fat.