Turnip Puff Recipe
“My family would never eat turnips until I served them this way,” says Debbie Henry from Phelpston, Ontario. This downsized version goes well with turkey, ham or roast beef. TIP: A pound of turnips yields about 2 cups chopped.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:3 servings
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- 2. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- 3. Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
2/3 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC