Turnip Puff Recipe
“My family would never eat turnips until I served them this way,” says Debbie Henry from Phelpston, Ontario. This downsized version goes well with turkey, ham or roast beef. TIP: A pound of turnips yields about 2 cups chopped.
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- 2. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- 3. Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
2/3 cup: 129 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Turnip Puff
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2014
"My husband loves this recipe!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC