Turnip Puff Recipe
“My family would never eat turnips until I served them this way,” says Debbie Henry from Phelpston, Ontario. This downsized version goes well with turkey, ham or roast beef. TIP: A pound of turnips yields about 2 cups chopped.
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- 2. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- 3. Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
2/3 cup: 129 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Turnip Puff
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2014
"My husband loves this recipe!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC