Turnip Hash Pasties Recipe
This is a great winter recipe. Not only does it include nutritious vegetables, but meat as well. It's a mild flavored old-fashioned pasty with lots of filling to make it a hearty meal.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons water
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled turnips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the potatoes, turnips, onion, butter, salt and pepper.
- 3. Divide dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 1-1/2 cups of filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- 4. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cut slits in tops of pasties. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 827 calories, 49 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,203 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC