- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled turnips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the potatoes, turnips, onion, butter, salt and pepper.
- Divide dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 1-1/2 cups of filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cut slits in tops of pasties. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turnip Hash Pasties in Reminisce February/March 2007, p 48
Reviews for Turnip Hash Pasties
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 21, 2011
"This is really good. I put a slice of provalone cheese inside and bake. I also serve with a brown gravy. Good on a cold winter night"