No holiday meal in our home is complete without this dish handed down by my Finnish grandmother. It makes an excellent complement to turkey, beef or ham. —Doris Hubert, East Killingly, Connecticut
4-6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender and
- drain. Transfer turnips to a bowl and mash. Add the egg, sugar,
- butter and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 192 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.