Turnip Bake Recipe
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place turnips in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine turnips, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 125 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Turnip Bake
"My husband and I both really liked this. I was out of bread crumbs so I substituted panko and really liked that change. Not sure about the nutmeg or brown sugar - I prefer my turnips a little more on the savory than sweet side. We would definitely have this again."
"This is good, it is the best recipe for turnips I have made so far. Nontheless, this is only the third time I have made turnips. The first time it was not so good made with cabbage. This time everyone liked it and they had seconds."
"perfect recipe! Thank you for sharing.We like a bit sweeter, so added 2T of splenda"
"I have never made turnips before, so I thought this recipe was a great place to start. I was skeptical at first when I saw brown sugar and nutmeg on the ingredients list, but we all enjoyed it!"
"I have made this recipe many times, a great way to cook turnip. People love it when they try it. I have served it to guests many times."