Turnip Bake Recipe
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place turnips in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine turnips, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 125 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Turnip Bake
"This was my first time making turnips, although I had eaten them a few times and liked them. My husband was skeptical but quickly discovered this was delicious. I followed the recipe, no changes, and I'll definitely make this again!"
"My husband and I both really liked this. I was out of bread crumbs so I substituted panko and really liked that change. Not sure about the nutmeg or brown sugar - I prefer my turnips a little more on the savory than sweet side. We would definitely have this again."
"This is good, it is the best recipe for turnips I have made so far. Nontheless, this is only the third time I have made turnips. The first time it was not so good made with cabbage. This time everyone liked it and they had seconds."
"perfect recipe! Thank you for sharing.We like a bit sweeter, so added 2T of splenda"
"I have never made turnips before, so I thought this recipe was a great place to start. I was skeptical at first when I saw brown sugar and nutmeg on the ingredients list, but we all enjoyed it!"
"I have made this recipe many times, a great way to cook turnip. People love it when they try it. I have served it to guests many times."