This recipe has been in our family for years. We like turnips with turkey, so my mother used to serve this side dish with our turkey dinner at Christmas. Then I served this dish, and now my daughter, who has taken over preparing Christmas dinner, is carrying on the tradition.
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place turnips in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine turnips, 2 tablespoons butter and eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add to turnip mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Turnip Puff in Country December/January 2006, p51
Reviews for Turnip Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review