Turkey with Vegetable Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups stuffing mix
- 3 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 turkey (12 pounds)
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, cabbage, carrots, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing mix, stuffing cubes, broth, egg substitute, cream, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt.
- 3. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups of stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 4. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- 5. Cover and bake additional stuffing for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. Yield: 24 servings (12 cups stuffing).
4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin) with 1/2 cup stuffing equals 317 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 41 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Turkey with Vegetable Sausage Stuffing
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer