Turkey with Vegetable Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups stuffing mix
- 3 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 turkey (12 pounds)
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, cabbage, carrots, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing mix, stuffing cubes, broth, egg substitute, cream, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt.
- 3. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups of stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 4. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- 5. Cover and bake additional stuffing for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. Yield: 24 servings (12 cups stuffing).
1 each: 317 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 lean meat.
Reviews for Turkey with Vegetable Sausage Stuffing
"Sometimes about mid-year I make a small turkey and dressing dinner. That way we are not so starved for it by Thanksgving. I might give this recipe a try then just for something different. But not during the holidays because we love our traditional way to fix things."
"This receipe might me tempting to make if it did not have something like stove-top stuffing in it! GROSS!"
"If the reviews I read so far are not glowing, who rated it 5 stars? I also use sausage in my stuffing, but my family would not touch it with cabbage. I agree stuffing mix is too sticky. Thanks, however, for sharing- I personally might like it."
"Just reading this recipe, I know my family would not eat it. I can't image turkey stuffed with cabage and the packaged stuffing mixes are like goo. I make my own corn bread for stuffing and do it the old fashioned way. I pressure cook chicken parts and chop the meat and put in my stuffing. No sausage, that's for breakfast."
"I do put pork sausage in our favorite dressing but I question one ingredient on this recipe.......what is stuffing mix?"
"Each family has their own traditions and they are interesting to read, but I can guarantee this would not be a hit with my bunch. Guess we are more traditionalists, but each family develops their own holiday must -haves so thanks for sharing."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer