My family is addicted to this stuffing and will have no other! It always turns out deliciously, so your guests are sure to be satisfied. —Alma Winberry, Great Falls, Montana
- 2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups stuffing mix
- 3 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 turkey (12 pounds)
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, cabbage, carrots, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing mix, stuffing cubes, broth, egg substitute, cream, poultry seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups of stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and bake additional stuffing for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. Yield: 24 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Sausage Stuffing in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009, p47
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Vegetable Sausage Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review