Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing Recipe
- 4 medium onions
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) herb stuffing mix
- 1 package (15 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, curry powder, caraway seeds, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Slice two onions; set aside. Chop remaining onions.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and chopped onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add herb packets from stuffing mixes. Stir in raisins, pecans, celery and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add stuffing mixes and broth; mix well. Cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- 3. Place reserved onions inside turkey. Loosely stuff turkey with 6-7 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up.
- 4. Roast, uncovered, 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Bake remaining stuffing, covered, 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes.
- 5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
10 ounces cooked turkey with 1 cup stuffing equals 913 calories, 39 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 260 mg cholesterol, 1,120 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 82 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer